Sunday, December 12, 2010

A fish tale

A lot of people attack the sea, I make love to it. - Jacques-Yves Cousteau




And so the amazing journey, so far have gotten more interesting as its no longer viewed from a keyhole but from behind the door itself. As the bar hits 50 - I take another longing look underneath me. Until next time.

My underwater journey started with a huge splash, followed by thunders of stomach grunting laughs. Well, that was what I can make out as I surfaced out of the water. I was sitting by the jetty of a dive center, prepping for my first real snorkeling session. Real would be as I wanted to snorkel not dragged out to do it. As my then colleagues thought it was funny to kick me into the water, only then they realized I'm a no swimmer. I can't even float...


Out of fear (blame JAWS) I was snorkeling very much in the same area only going for the quick U-Turns as I was nearing the buoys which obviously marks deeper end. Deep = bigger fish? Big fish = Panicky me? It went on like that for couple of months before I went dry and started my freelance photography work. Then I went back to work at another resort, this time I was asked to do the DSD. Discovery Scuba Diving.

Allow me to skip the embarrassing part please. The visibility was bad and I was asked to buddy up with another coral banger (no help with the buoyancy eh?). Fast forward, I am now certified and no longer bangs on coral. I also try my very best to not get over excited over any Nudiebranches I spot underwater. Frog fish are my favorites. I've seen plenty of Harlequin Shrimp before which put me in awe but of course, picture or it didn't happen. I found out plenty of people actually "go out to dive" for the Harlequin? Oh well. I'm saving up for a strobe, I shoot with a Nikon D80 but with the splurges - I might as well buy a compact cam and a U/W casing.


The most interesting part of this whole scuba diving hu-ha of mine, I work for a dive company. Having a Dream job with the Dream Team. That's something special isn't it? When I'm not getting wet, I get people wet. How interesting! :)


Nice meeting you!

No comments:

Post a Comment