Monday, May 23, 2011

Scuba Diving in my backyard - Kota Kinabalu

Frogfish
I get questioned a lot about which is better to dive. East coast or West coast (of Sabah). East Coast, the Great Sipadan was made famous by Jacques Yves Costeau. He is hands down, the Godfather of the Underwater.


While I haven't had the chance to dive Sipadan, before I was even a diver I had heard the great story of it. I've watched videos and it never failed to put me in awe. Seeing divers in the deep blue - nothing but just water was amazing. I remember thinking it must be like flying..


Since, I have only heard how people would say diving in Kota Kinabalu is nothing compared to Sipadan. That created the mindset that diving within the West Coast is dull. As a TARP born diver, I wish to change that.


When I learn how to scuba dive, my final day on the Open Water course was made extra special. My buddy and I were taken to a different part of the island. Diving off the boat descending above these sloping coral reef. I was amazed to see the underwater life sitting just 20 minutes away from home. Nudiebranches, Nemos, searhorses, turtle, groupers (we do have the big ones around) and more. I kept thinking all the hype for Sipadan and this little piece of jewel is hidden away from everyone.


Blue Velvet Nudiebranch
We've seen cuttlefish, Frogfishes and Orangutan crab. I remembered seeing Harlequin shrimp but I must've been dreaming. Sea cucumbers the size of my arm and eels that I have only seen in tanks before and blue spotted rays. Underwater, I was already planning to dive every weekend if I could. Black tip shark? Checked. 


Some would argue, there's no big fish around Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park (TARP). 


While I would enjoy seeing the big fish around, those you'd only find in dive site like Sipadan - Bumphead parrot, schools of Barracudas, Hammerhead sharks perhaps, I find diving and looking for the little ones that gets goes unnoticed even more exciting.


While some get the perception that diving within TARP is repetitive. With over 25 logged dive sites and more still unexplored, you will be surprised on the quality of diving you find here. Most dive operators will visit the same spot because its good to dive the place you are most familiar with. Do a little research before picking your dive operator (just like buddy checks! ;) ) and the first response says a lot about the experience you will have with them.


Picking a good diving vacation/place doesn't promise you good diving. You may dive in the worlds best sites but if the diving operator doesn't meet your standard, the whole experience can be uncomfortable.


Halgerda batangas
TARP is also easily accessible. Forget about spending half a day just traveling to get to a remote island. 15 minutes from the city center of Kota Kinabalu, a hop on a nice catamaran diving boat, add 20 minutes of nice boat ride to the marine park, you will find that hidden piece of paradise underwater.


If you are looking for quality diving experience with the best people, send an email to info@borneodream.com. You can also visit their website at www.borneodream.com.
















2 comments:

  1. Interesting post !
    Scuba is an acronym for self contained underwater breathing apparatus, and with it one has the opportunity to see what life underwater is like.
    http://www.bestscubapro.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tunku Abdul Rahman Park is a true treasure, even more so for being right on the doorstep of a fairly busy city such as Kota Kinabalu.

    As Sabah divers we should stand together and promote the TAR Park and do away with the false perception that just because it's close to the city it's no good.

    There are wonderful treasures in the park, so let's enjoy it every day.

    ReplyDelete